Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Process Assignment #1 T.A.A.S.

As I was flipping through music articles, which is one of my hobbies, I came across an article of a band that I just went and saw in concert. I have was just introduced to them a few weeks before. While I was reading, they were said to be a punk band. They had certain details that revealed a more original feeling of music. These Arms Are Snakes are an array of different influences. I chose part of the semi-long article that described them as a post hardcore band with an old punk sound. I chose the best part of the article that describes the band for what they are. After I checked them out on Youtube and Itunes a few weeks back and seeing them live, helped me realize that this article was dead on with their sound.

"But, as much ground as it covers, post-hardcore may no longer be a suitable descriptor for the reach of today's crop of hardcore-descended bands. While keyboard atmospheres churn and throb behind wailing guitar, strangely melodic yelling, and a bass-and-drums attack built on finesse and aggression, These Arms Are Snakes is, along with various peers, heralding yet another philosophical sea change in a hardcore community that now bears little resemblance to its origins. Like The Mars Volta, Portugal The Man, Past Lives, and a growing contingent of colorfully diverse groups, These Arms Are Snakes embraces a dizzying array of influences." - City News, Music Profile: These Arms Are Snakes

By Saby Reyes-Kulkarni, September


This part of the article reveals the concrete detail in which their music is played. The guitar, bass, vocals, and micro Korg pianos are used by their effects and how they all fit together as a whole. The churning of the and throb of a wailing guitar is not even close to tangable. It shows the way the guitar is used in such detail that everyting just falls into place. It's how it sounds as you listen to it through their amps. The band has a stong melodic feel to their music. The vocals are in fact melodic so that every note is hit on key with passion. After reading this article and after I saw them life, this really stuck out to me as what their shows are actually like. Filled with energy, the singer runs around the stage and jumps through the audience with high energy while singing. He brings the band a more energetic feel. The guitar is stated to be "churned and throbbed" together using a vast amount of effects pedals. It helps the band bring out the unique sound that is intended. This part of the article uses concrete detail to show how everything pieces together as a whole with their unique sound. The words agression, melodic, churning, whailing, and attack, all make the band sound intense. Concrete detail is used in many ways. Using words to describe a sound is one of them. This is what I though the article was going after. They tried to mix and match sounds in which creates a sound within your head that you can hear. When I think of churning, I think of how the ocean sounds. When I think of melodic, I think of the melody and what's being played beneath that. When I think of attack, I think of something being threatened by something else, not being a sound. They are used as a feeling of each instrument. They are nothing that can be touched. The word dizzying makes me think of overwhelming amounts of music. To me, that's concrete detail.

No comments: