Sunday, September 27, 2009

Response Promt #1

Lately i've been really obsessed with the t.v show True Blood. When i found out that there was a books series the first thing i did was buy the first four books. I haven't had to much time to read them but i make as much time as i can. I am currently on book three and so far there are many examples concrete details.

"I swung the bat and went to stand beside Alcide. I swung the bat into position and waited for the next move. As my brother, Jason, had taught me- based on his many fights in bars, I'm afraid- i picked out one man in particular, pictured myself swinging the bat and bringing it to strike on his knee, which was more accessible to me than his head. " By. Charlaine Harris

There are many concrete details in this excerpt from the Sookie Stackhouse novel "Club Dead" that helps paint the reader a great image of what moments in the book. One good example of concrete imagery is " I swung the bat and went to stand beside Alcide. I swung the bat into position and waited for the next move." ( Harris) The scene that leads to this event takes place in a night Club in Jackson, Mississippi. While Sookie was working on her job she gets hit on by a werewolf and it turns into a bar fight, Sookie and her coworker against twelve werewolves. When she uses the words " Swung the bat into position" you can clearly picture her getting ready to swing at her target. She also gives a great example of who she is targeting when she says" I picked out one man in particular, pictured myself swinging the bat and bringing it to strike on his knee, which was more accessible to me than his head". Although, Sookie is not a much of a fighter she brings up really good ideas of get out of this situation alive. She uses her own common knowledge of the human body to plan out her own method of winning this uneven battle between the supernaturals.


No comments: